It’s a New Year, 2021, and it’s January. A year ago, the Covid-19 Pandemic circled the globe and showed us that we are indeed interconnected and what happens to people in one part of the world affects those in another.
History of the human condition has repeated itself in dark stories of illness and death, ignorance and conflict, hate and despair, AND yet, I believe that the possibility for healing, wisdom, cooperation, love, and hope exists and will prevail. These are the things I wish for you in the days ahead.
To back up my claim, I offer you my personal story of healing and resilience. It has just been published in a 100-page paperback called, Beyond Expectations: 6 Days on the Camino Portugués.
About the author, Kate Fisher
Kate is a life-long learner and educator. After teaching in various schools and working as a librarian, she earned her TEFL certificate and began teaching English as a Foreign Language online and in English Immersion Villages in Europe. Her passion is to help people worldwide make connections through meaningful conversations using English as the common or Global Language. She is a certified Neurolanguage Coach® and hosts a podcast for English Language Learners and curious travelers.
Vocabulary from our conversation
bookends – used figuratively for something at the beginning and something at the end
- affection immersion chair – This is Kirstin’s name for a big overstuffed chair in the corner of her living room. I sat there surrounded by her family and pets, soaking up the love and affection.
- affection – a feeling of love and tender care
- immersion – to be completely involved in something
radical self-care – making taking care of oneself a top priority
About the book (read by Kirstin)
How often do you think about the expectations in your life?
Most people are too busy carrying them out, whether they be imposed by family, friends, work, society, or oneself.
Walking for 6 days on the Camino Portugués gave the author personal time to interact with people who had no expectations of her, thus freeing her to be totally herself and explore her life anew.
She wrote this book for English Language Learners who enjoy travel and hiking, or anyone interested in walking at least 100 km to Santiago to receive a Compostela, or certificate of completion. It’s also a short story of personal growth and transition after overcoming anxiety and depression.
Profits from the sale of this book will be donated to organizations working to educate people of all ages about mental health and emotional resiliency.
The Appendix includes English and Spanish glossaries. Additional resources for English Language Learners will include a workbook and a complete audio version of the book.
English Vocabulary from chapter 1 (read by Kate)
- to pay off – to succeed or have good results
- to tap into – to connect with or use something with good results
- to take the lid off of something – to examine something that had been hidden or forgotten
- no strings attached – free of conditions, restrictions or expectations
- disentangle – to remove from a mess of knots or complications
- suppressed – to keep something down or hidden
- decade – ten years
- weary – extremely tired after physical effort
- awe – overwhelmed with emotion, usually wonder or admiration
“I began disentangling myself from the expectations that had been holding me back for years. . . Stronger and bolder, I took the lid off of suppressed dreams. One that had been there for a decade emerged. I wanted to walk on the Camino de Santiago.”
Spanish Vocabulary from the book:
credencial – a passport for collecting stamps
- Compostela – a certificate of completion
Enjoying the podcast? Please leave a review and share it on social media. Directions: https://www.conversationswithkate.net/listen-to-the-podcast/
Join the email list do download a sample of the accompanying workbook to Beyond Expectations: 6 Days on the Camino Portugués.
A special thank you to Maria Seco, from Spanish for the Camino, for meeting me on my walk and for help with my Spanish and the Spanish in the book. You can listen to my podcast conversations with her below.