Do you believe that language learning can be fun and games?
Vickie Kelty joins me on the podcast to talk about card games, board games, games that need no special materials, and ways to encourage relaxed conversation while enjoying the fun social activity of playing games together.
About Vickie Kelty
Vickie is an American English teacher who specializes in boosting English fluency by making it seriously fun. She grew up playing UNO all the time in Nebraska, USA, and now lives on wine and cheese in La Mancha, Spain. She’s here to support you as you become a relaxed, unstoppable English speaker. In her virtual game nights, Vickie teaches English learners how easy and fun speaking can be. Learn more at vickiekelty.com
Vocabulary from our conversation
- It’s a riot! – it’s so much fun!
- Laughing hysterically – laughing without control, for a long time
- Hilarious – extremely amusing and funny
- Strategy – a plan of action
- Strategic – carefully thought out, designed, or planned
- It always puzzled me – I didn’t understand it
- Too competitive – placing too much importance on winning
- Taboo – something that is forbidden, restricted
- To adapt – to change something for a new use
- Randomly – without a conscious decision
- Variation – a change
- To think of something on the spot – to think of it immediately
- To get stumped – to be unable to figure something out
- You can just ad lib – do something impromptu, without preparation
- To lighten up – to take oneself less seriously
What games are on your shelf?
What games are on your phone?
Vickie has no games on her phone!
Kate has Heads Up! and several language apps that use gamification: Duolingo and Clozemaster.
What games need no special materials?
Conversation games, Charades, and more.