Would you like to feel happier, more inspired and positive about your English language studies or teaching? Author and teacher, Marusya Price, tells you how in her book, 101 Activities to Teach English Mindfully. In this episode, we talk about the benefits of learning mindfully using visualizations and other activities to help you focus, tap into creativity, and feel less anxious and stressed.
About Marusya Price
After experiencing the benefits of living mindfully, Marusya completed a mindfulness course for educators and boldly uses various mindful tools in her English lessons. She creates lesson plans with her own visualizations and meditations which help the students become more focused, present and learn English successfully.
We ask our students to focus. . . ,“Listen to me. Don’t look through the window. . . ,” but we do not teach them how to focus, and we do not show them the techniques to calm their busy minds which will actually help them concentrate on the lesson.
Vocabulary from our conversation
- philology – the study of a language and its literature
- to be paid peanuts – to be paid very little for one’s work
- limbic system – the system of nerves and networks in the brain
- meditation – the process of redirecting your thoughts to calm your mind
- visualization – an audio recording created to stimulate the senses and imagination; to create a mental image
- passage – a short literary text, often a poem
- elocution – the skill of clear pronunciation
- Comenius Programme – a European Union educational project
- to reap a benefit – to get something good as a result of actions taken
I teach them (my students) about the mind and what happens in our mind when negative thoughts and negative feelings hijack it and this is when the panic drops and they say, “That is why we have to breathe!”
Website – https://www.inspirationalenglish.co.uk/
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/inspirationalenglish_/
Insight Timer – https://insighttimer.com/inspirationalenglish
Soundcloud – https://soundcloud.com/user-668569432
*In this episode, Marusya mentioned a blog post which features the beach visualization. Here’s a link to it: https://www.inspirationalenglish.co.uk/post/2019/06/27/your-official-invitation-to-the-english-seaside